For over 30 years, the National Institute for Leadership Advancement (NILA) has been SHPE’s solution to developing relevant and responsible community leaders across the nation to ensure that Hispanics are not only represented, but are influential drivers in the future of STEM both in the community and at a national level.
NILA’s purpose and design is to cultivate and train community leaders to serve in leadership roles within SHPE’s nationwide eco-system and operating structure and, ultimately, advance SHPE’s mission and vision. While these individuals serve in specific leadership roles directly related to SHPE’s operational and programmatic success, they also serve their communities on a larger scale. These individuals lead SHPE’s national efforts and provide mission fulfillment through community engagement and social impact by empowering the Hispanic community to realize its fullest potential and to impact the world through STEM awareness, access, support, and development.
- NILA empowers student and professional leaders from across the country to:
- Increase self-awareness and leadership skills to be effective chapter leaders
- Develop a chapter strategy to sustain and grow chapters and increase their positive impact within their communities
- Identify how to continue their legacy and SHPE’s legacy by engaging and developing members into community and professional leaders.
- Increase and advance your effective leadership skills
- Practice strategies to retain members and manage your chapter
- Develop marketing and fund development strategies and materials
- Implement a succession plan for the growth and success of the chapter